Developed by Epic Games, Fortnite is one of the most well-known gameplay where players communicate with their squads during the game. But recently some players have complained that they are failing to talk to their mates while playing this game on their PC. This is because they find that their Fortnite mic not working.
If you come across the same issue and find that voice chat is not working, then don’t worry at all as this issue is fixable. You can follow up with some simple tips and tricks mentioned in this post to fix the mic not working issue.
Some Simple Fixes to Resolve Mic Not Working Fortnite:
There are lots of probable causes that might be responsible for the mic not working in Fortnite. Some of the common ones can be an improper selection of the device, wrong controller settings, changes in the Registry due to updates, and so on.
Well, whatever be the cause for this issue to occur, you can easily resolve them if you follow all the fixes one by one listed here.
Fix 1: Restarting the Windows Audio Service
The first and foremost fix that you can try to overcome this Fortnite mic not working issue is by restarting the Windows Audio service.
For that, you need to follow the given below steps:
- Open the Run box by pressing the Windows and R keys simultaneously on your keyboard.
- There you need to type “services.msc” and tap on the OK button.
- Then navigate to find Windows Audio and right-click on it.
- After that, go to the upper left of the window and choose the Restart option.
- At last, close the Services window and relaunch Fortnite to check whether your Fortnite mic is working.
Fix 2: Setting your Microphone as Default Device
Many Fortnite players found that by setting their microphone as their default recording device, they fixed the issue of mic not working Fortnite.
Check out the steps listed below to fix the Fortnite mic not working issue:
- First of all, try to disable Voice Chat in Fortnite.
- Navigate to the top-right corner in Fortnite and click on the three lines.
- From there, you have to open the Settings menu by choosing the cog icon.
- Then click on the Speaker icon at the top of the screen for viewing the Audio settings.
- After that, you need to turn off the Voice Chat option.
- Finally, go to the bottom of the screen and tap on the Apply button.
- Now,you need to close Fortnite and go to the bottom right part of the screen.
- Right-click on the Volume icon and then choose the Sounds option.
- Next, tap on the Recording tab. From there, right-click on the device that you want to use.
- Then choose the “Set as Default Device” option.
- Thereafter, you need to disable all other input devices leaving behind the one that you want to use by right-clicking on it.
- Further, tap on OK and open Fortnite again.
- Navigate to the Settings menu and turn on the Voice Chat option.
Finally, you can try to communicate with any squad while playing the game to verify whether the mic works properly or not. If not, then move on to the next solution.
Fix 3: Updating your Audio Driver
If the mic not working in Fortnite is due to the outdated or missing driver, then you can easily troubleshoot this issue by updating your audio driver. You can update your audio driver following any of the two ways- either manually or automatically.
Manual Updating of Audio Driver:
- Go to the official website of the driver’s manufacturer.
- There you need to look out for the latest driver for your audio device.
- Ensure to pick the driver that is compatible with your Windows version and the model number of your device.
Automatic Updating of Audio Driver:
If you don’t have enough technical skills or are running out of time, then all you can do is update your audio driver automatically. You can choose a reliable software program for doing so.
After updating your audio driver, you must restart your computer and check whether the mic not working Fortnite issue gets resolved or not.
Fix 4: Checking for Windows Updates
Sometimes due to system issues, players encounter this issue. In such a case, you can check your system for Windows updates.
Check out these steps for updating Windows on your PC:
- Go to the Windows search box and type update in it.
- Once you do so, tap on the Enter button.
- Now, go to the pop-up window and click on the “Check for Updates” option.
- Doing this will install all the required updates on your system.
This would probably resolve the issue.
Fix 5: Enabling Apps to Access your Mic
After a recent Windows 10 update, many computers face a privacy setting reset. Often Fortnite players face this issue of the mic not working due to this. So, in order to access your microphone again, you can check your apps from the Windows Settings and enable them the permission to access your Mic.
- In the beginning, go to the Windows search box.
- There you need to type Settings and choose the matching result.
- Once you do so, now click on the Privacy option.
- After that, navigate to the left pane of the window and click on the Microphone option.
- Thereafter, tap on the Change button in the right pane of the window. This will display that your mic is turned on.
- In the meantime, ensure to enable the “All Apps to access your microphone” option.
- Also, when you get into the section “Choose which apps can access your microphone”, you must be sure that Fortnite is turned on.
- Now, you can check whether your mic is working or not during Fortnite gameplay.
That’s all. If you follow the above-mentioned fixes in the same way as is informed in this post, then there are high chances that your Fortnite mic not working problem will surely get resolved.